It’s a Shady World of Career Advice Out There
Most career advice you’ll find out there on the internet, unfortunately, falls into one of three buckets:
- So generic that it’s unusable (“put your head down and work hard”)
- Plain wrong and counterproductive (“follow your passion”)
- Asks you to spend unreasonable sums of money (“get a graduate degree”)
It can take tens if not hundreds of hours to wade through all the shallow, misinformed articles and videos just to finally stumble upon a golden nugget of insight that might be tangentially relevant to your career situation.
Even after you do finally find a high-quality piece of information (and have a moment to rejoice!) how do you apply its insight to your life? How you translate the insight into actual behavior that you can execute today?
The path forward in your tech career may seem intimidating. Maybe you’ve been walking along the well-trodden road until now, where you’re standing in front of a dirt trail winding through a dark, unfamiliar Forbidden Forest.
What do you next?
Why I Can Help You
I’ve been in your shoes before. Sending my resume to hundreds of positions on LinkedIn and not hearing back. Presenting myself at dozens of on-site interviews to still not get an offer.
Feeling anxious and scared that I’m on the wrong track in my job search and performance reviews. Losing my sleep, health and time over trying to find the magical formula to finding and sustaining a job that I love (hint: it doesn’t exist).
Like you might be experiencing right now, it felt demoralizing. I was in a nightmare.
Over the last several years, I’ve been on a journey to painstakingly build back up my tech career approach brick-by-brick.
This time, I approached things differently. Instead of hunting for short-term tactics, I investigated life-long strategies and frameworks that had worked for top-performers.
My new journey led me much deeper down the rabbit hole than I anticipated.
Thousands of hours of research later, I’ve explored every nook and cranny of the scientific literature, ancient wisdom, real-world case studies, and hundreds of individual anecdotes I could get my hands on.
This work —the product of much sweat and toil— is what enabled me to catalog a deep library of insightful career frameworks, strategies, and tools that I still use to this day.
But I didn’t stop at just documentation, because what’s so useful about a strategy if it only works as a theory and doesn’t hold up to the litmus test of reality?
So I pressure-tested each framework, strategy, and tool —first, by putting them into practice in my own career; second, by sharing them with friends, colleagues, and clients to implement in their own lives and careers. Putting each idea to the test, learning, and iterating. Constantly.
And it has paid off.
In my own tech career, I’ve worked as an award-winning product manager at Dropbox and several fast-growing startups in Silicon Valley backed by world-class VC firms such as Greylock Partners and Sequoia Capital.
For each role, I’ve consistently outperformed my targets —whether it was revenue, users, or engagement.
I’ve been promoted eight months into a new job, negotiated my own compensation to get tens of thousands of dollars of raises, and helped hundreds of others find their dream job and get more out of their current career.
Last but not least, I’ve built a winning system of hundreds of rigorously-tested, ready-to-use frameworks, strategies, and tools for finding and succeeding in a job you love.
While I still don’t believe silver bullets exist, this system has consistently worked for me, my friends, colleagues, and clients. Time and time again.
And I’m excited to share this coaching program with you.
Reboot Your Tech Career: A Personalized Approach
What I’m offering is no-nonsense career coaching that’s systematically designed to get you unstuck and start taking immediate action towards building a lasting career you love.
My coaching program leverages thousands of hours of in-depth research and a playbook for what’s worked for me and my clients to get you timely, usable and effective insights for your unique situation.
Below are a few tricky situations you may find yourself needing help with:
- Feeling stuck in your job search: You’re not getting flooded by recruiters reaching out on LinkedIn like you were hoping. Or maybe you’re looking to finally transition from UI design to product design, but all the recruiters seem to think you’re looking for a UI-role. What’s going on? Let’s dig deeper into your positioning and review your LinkedIn/resume together.
- Preparing for your interviews: You’re feeling nervous and anxious before every interview even after the 21st one. Or perhaps you’re not sure how to answer a certain behavioral or product case question. Hmm this could be a good time to talk about storytelling frameworks and schedule a mock interview.
- You’ve nailed the offer and need to negotiate: You’re sitting there looking up negotiation scripts online for hours, but still don’t know precisely what to say when the hiring manager tells you your package. Let’s chat about strategies, your leverage, and schedule a mock negotiation
- You’re starting to feel burnt out of your job: You’re feeling this strange mix of exhaustion and distance from what you’re doing. Maybe your performance is still OK or maybe it’s not. I’m sorry –burn-out is hard. We can unpack what burn-out means for you in a call, triangulate the triggers, and devise a plan to help you break through.
- Performance reviews are coming up, and you want the promotion and raise: You’ve spoken with your manager once or twice and s/he has hinted that you’re a high-performer. Does that mean you’re a shoe-in for a promotion? The reality is no. Let’s work together on a plan that you can implement to do everything short of guaranteeing the promotion.
How We’ll Work Together
If you decide to embark on a new chapter of your journey with me by your side as a coach, then we’ll work together using a four-part, action-oriented coaching process:
- Phase 1 — Discover: We will discuss your career vision and identify obstacles –such as hidden scripts and stories– that are causing you to get stuck on your path towards actualizing this vision.
- Phase 2 — Ideate: After identifying these obstacles in Phase 1, we’ll practice exercises that are personalized to your particular situation to help you come up with a plan to getting unstuck.
- Phase 3 — Act: I will coach you to taking action based on our plan and hold you accountable to the work, so we can maximize your chances of getting the results you’re after.
- Phase 4 — Learn: Finally we’ll collect feedback on what happened, refine your goals/vision and approach, and then iterate through Phases 1-3.
This process typically takes at least 1-4 months (depending on your schedule) to give you enough time to not only learn the material but to put them into practice.
What You Put In = What You Get Out
With that said, I want to be candid with you. This program won’t be easy!
Our sessions are going to challenge you. There will be a reasonable amount of homework in between sessions to help you put the lessons we cover into practice.
If you’re looking for a quick-fix solution, then I’m not the right coach for you. If you’re looking for a royal treatment, where I lavish you with empty praise no matter how you’re performing, then I’m not the right coach for you either.
But if you want to put in the actual work to learn and implement high-value systems and frameworks based on the playbook of what’s worked for me and my clients, then I think we’ll work well together.
By the end of our sessions, you’ll be well-equipped with tools, strategies, and habits to leverage your experiences and boldly step into the next phase of your career journey — whether it’s getting that new job, securing a promotion, or navigating a big transition.
My Risk-Free Guarantee
For all my paid sessions, my standard refund policy is a 30-Day, 100% Money-Back Guarantee.
What that means is if you don’t love the coaching sessions, you can email me at any time within 30 days of our first appointment and show me that you’re doing the exercises and not getting results. I will refund you 100% of the purchase price.
Book a Free 30-Minute Consultation
I offer sessions for a variety of services including job search planning, interview preparation, compensation negotiation preparation, career performance coaching, and wellness coaching.
Job Search: Planning and Advising
- Envisioning Your Future: Identifying your career goals, visioning exercises, ideating and prioritizing career pathways, gifts inventory, values exercise, personality evaluation
- Steering Your Direction: Defining your target companies and industries, opportunity matrix, informational interviews, networking and building relationships, iterating based on feedback
- Strategically Applying to Opportunities: Leveraging network for referrals, sourcing channels, project managing your job search, email and conversational scripts
Job Search: Interview Preparation
- Mock Interviews for a variety of companies (corporate, growth-stage, early-stage, internet, software, consumer SaaS, enterprise)
- Behavioral Interview Preparation: Three Takeaways, Five Stories Five Checks framework, Pied Piper technique, vocal presence, non-verbal communication, public speaking training
- Role-Specific Interview Preparation: Product Sense and Execution frameworks, strategies for product management, design, marketing, and analytics interviews
Job Search: Compensation Negotiation
- Mock Negotiations for a variety of companies (corporate, growth-stage, early-stage, internet, software, consumer SaaS, enterprise)
- New Offer Negotiation Preparation: Researching your compensation, understanding your offer, common traps, conversational scripts
- Promotion/Raise Negotiation Preparation: Researching your compensation, company career frameworks, common traps, conversational scripts
Career Success: Planning and Advising
- Becoming a Top-Performer: crafting your Career Roadmap, decision-making frameworks, navigating career pathways in your organization, writing emails and messages, giving presentations, building relationships, asking for/getting feedback
Career Success: Wellness Coaching
- Improving Wellness at the Workplace: Stress-busting techniques, Wheel of Life exercise, life and work scorecards, cognitive distortions, mood journal
- Breaking Through Burn-Out: Stress/burn-out evaluation, identifying your stress triggers, coping strategies, positive habit formation